Thursday, December 11, 2014

The new mask and other CPAP fun.

(Friday, Dec12/2014, 12:30 am)

So on Wednesday (Dec/10/2014) I received my new size small mask for my CPAP machine. Things, for the most part are going much better. My new mask fits my face properly, and does not bubble off of my face like the size medium did. Nor are the blisters in my mouth getting worse. But there was one problem I couldn't quite figure out.

Something strange happened the first time I slept with it though. The machine was finally registering a poor fit at some point during the night. Well WTH when the old mask was blowing off of my face everything was supposedly fine, but I could feel how well the new mask was fitting when I woke up, and now the machine was registering an improper fit.

Well what the heck happened? I decided to check the my air site that my machine reports data to. I checked the mask fit log and the seal was excellent for almost the whole night. There was one bar that showed a problem, the very last one from right before I woke up. Then it hit me all of the sudden. I was dreaming about ripping my mask off my face right before I woke up, I must have acted it out.

Woo-hoo! That meant there was no problem with my mask after all!!! What a relief, I was ecstatic.

Mask problems that "in my opinion"* have no good solution:
Being a side sleeper there was also always a possibility of pushing my mask sideways. Which doesn't feel great. When that happens the leak tends to go into my eye, which is very uncomfortable considering I have dry eye. There is also a tiny tiny leak at the top of my nose, this was the case with both masks and I'm guessing it either has to do with the shape of my nose, OR the fact that I am a woman wearing the men's/"unisex " mask. Instead of the women's mask, that was designed for the unique characteristics of women.

*disclaimer I am not a doctor, not an I an expert in sleep apnea or gastric bypass surgery. I am simply another patient going through life sharing my life experiences with others. I put my experiences can help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment