Monday, February 9, 2015

Hiatial Hernia

**warning this post has some descriptive content that may be upsetting to some people**

During my initial testing when entering the weight loss program at Emmerson Hospital in Concord MA I found out that I have a hiatial hernia. I found this out during an upper GI test, they have you drink barium and roll around on an x-ray table so they can see if there is anything wrong with your upper gastrointestinal tract, such as a hernia.

I didn't really know what that meant until tonight. But I found out I have been living with these symptoms for a few years now. Since long before my testing in August and September of 2014.

So upon doing some research on hiatial hernias I found out that they are likely the cause for my bloody stools. The dark blackish color in the stool comes from bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tract which is most likely caused by my hernia.

Certain foods appear to be more likely than others to upset the hernia. Other foods are less likely to upset it.

Luckily for me when I have my bypass done the surgeon will also repair my hernia so I will no longer have to deal with this discomfort.

Disclaimer*** I am not a doctor, the contents of this blog are my personal experiences, and not medical advice. I am a bariatric patient and not a qualified professional. Always ask your doctor about concerns you have about your health.

No comments:

Post a Comment